Search This Blog

Sunday, 10 February 2013

Weekly Review: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Hey y'all, how's it going?

Today, I'm reviewing Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. I'm going to keep this short because I want to go back to playing it.

YAY!
I am thoroughly enjoying this game. Unfortunately, I couldn't buy it at release, I was broke as hell, but I bought it yesterday and I just haven't been able to put it down. The visuals are just amazing, the storyline is intriguing and the gameplay features... Wowee, I am impressed by this. 

A screenshot from a battle scene
I'm going to start with the graphics. Not many games these days trade off more realistic graphics for cartoonish and anime-like graphics. It's a refreshing change to be honest. They're so nice to look at, and some of the environments  The colour schemes and the tones for each areas are so well defined. One minute, you can be in a bright, vibrant environment and the next, you can be inside a dark swamp just CRAWLING with nasties.

The game play is very interesting and varied. All the different challenges you come across aren't all combat related. Sometimes, to solve someone's problem, all you need is one specific spell to get the job done. There's are large variety of spells to unlock, I don't think I've even unlocked half of them and I'm halfway through the game. There are some pretty creative spells in there too, such as a spell called "Rejuvenate" which restores objects to their former glories or "Bridge" which makes certain places once unreachable reachable.

And then there's broken-hearted people. People that literally have a piece of their heart missing. Broken-hearted people are shells of people who they used to be. There are different forms of broken-heartedness, such as people lacking of kindness or enthusiasm. These people are often important plot points and can only be healed with the "Give Heart" spell.

The one thing I would improve on however is the tutorial, it's not really engaging, most of the time it's just a text box explaining what to do. They do have some interactive ones when it comes to combat related ones, but I think it would be better to let the player learn through actually playing the game.

So yeah, if you ever see this game anywhere ever and love RPGs, I definitely recommend this one. I don't want to spoil anything, but so far, this game has been far from cliché. 

No comments:

Post a Comment