Search This Blog

Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Global Game Jam is This Weekend!

Okay, so the Global Game Jam is this weekend. For those of you who don't know what this is.

Shame on you!

But I'll forgive you if you look up this link to find out more about it.

I'll give you a brief explanation for those of you who can't be fucked clicking link (bunch of lazy bastards...)

Basically, it's a weekend that you dedicate to making a video game. You need to follow a theme they reveal on the night, but from what I've seen, they're pretty broad (betrayal was one of them for example.) You get broken into groups (don't worry if you don't know anyone, think of it as an opportunity to make new friends!) Other than that, the sky's the limit! It's a good way to network with your fellow designers in your area. At the end of the weekend, your game gets showcased. This event happens simultaneously all over the world and is quickly gaining speed with 10 new countries joining this year (so far.)

Kinda hope this doesn't happen to me.

So, on impulse, I decided to go to this. I'm kinda nervous to be honest, I'm not really industry standard at anything yet. Certainly not art and definitely not programming. But more than anything, the people at my uni who're actually good at these things are going to be there. I feel like I have to impress, is that silly? Because I fucking feel like it is.

And then comes the dilemma, should I go in a group with them? Then all these other questions just pop up. Will they say yes if I ask? What if they say no? Am I actually going to be able to help them or am I going to be an errand boy? I am telling you this right now.

I am not going to be dead weight.

If worse comes to worse, I'll go slide myself in another group, but I'm pretty shy so that's gonna be hard for me. I think I'd have decent ideas to bring to the table at least. And I know how to write decently and how to write a decent plot.

In fact, I had some inspiration this morning.

Some of you may remember this little rant I had the other day. I was browsing the boards of GameFAQs and read a couple reviews. Some stated that this game had good potential, until Square Enix sorta fucked things up.

So I started thinking, it'd be easy to make this game more enjoyable. There would be a variety of classes available (in a formation YOU choose). You could also set their default action when the battle begins and you can change it whenever you like. But it still needs to be touch friendly, so if you do need to make a command, I'll just add something like: "command healers to heal" or something like that. It'll need to be basic, I can't just bombard the user with GUI.

But yes, these are ideas at this stage, I think my programming needs to improve somewhat before I can even tackle this on. If I go with the 8-bit art for this, I could do a decent job with art. Maybe.

I sort of trailed off there, but I just WANTED TO SAY IT! Back to the topic at hand though. Global Game Jam.

If there's one in your area, I definitely recommend going to it. Well, I say that, but I haven't been to one yet. But I'll post up here to tell you ALLLLLLLLL about it.

(That was a shitty conclusion, what is wrong with me?) 

No comments:

Post a Comment