Search This Blog

Monday, 14 January 2013

Fuck Programming. Fuck it with a Chainsaw.

Programming. The bane of my existence. Well, that and drawing, but we'll save THAT for another time.

Fuck you. That is all.
For everyone who has tried programming, they know how difficult it can be to pick up. It's essentially learning another language. Only, if you get it wrong, instead of an old European woman scrowling at you, you have a computer, screaming at you that you are wrong in several different ways (if you're lucky) all because you forgot to put a damn semi-colon at the end of a line of code!

I hate that this is the very core of making a video game. Yes, you can have an engine (such as Unity & UDK), but to make something unique and special, you need a vast knowledge of programming. It doesn't help that the engines available to us have slight variations on official languages just to confuse you even further!
This is a truth I wish were a lie.
I wish that they would make these engines a little more versatile. I've been learning JavaScript from CodeAcademy for almost 3 weeks now, I go to build a game in Unity just to find out Unity's JavaScript and regular ol' JavaScript are two different things. WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO PEOPLE?!

So yeah, by the looks at how things are going, I probably won't be anymore prepared for programming for the next tri than I would've when I started, although I have roughly a month to get myself into shape with it. I do not want to fail again. It has already delayed me enough just failing once.



2 comments:

  1. YES, you got to be a programmer. Hard truth. Sorry. :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy crap! My first comment! Well, I went to uni for 7 hours today and my friend showed me programming in Unity, so, well, I'm less shit than I was at the start of today then I am right now.

      Delete